Hello, and welcome to Beyond the Read! 💖 I’m Abby, a Christian teenage girl with a passion for books and music. I’ve always loved to read, but sometimes this gets in the way of my relationship with God. I created this blog in April 2020 in order to try to find a healthy balance between the two loves of my life. Some fast facts about me:
- I primarily read young adult fiction—I love the variety of topics YA books address! 🤩
- My most-read genres are fantasy and contemporary, but I read from just about any genre… except for horror/paranormal books, which terrify and/or freak me out to no end 📖
- I’m the proud daughter of South Korean immigrants, and I speak fluent Korean, which comes in handy when binging K-dramas (which I do on a regular basis) 🇰🇷
- I’m perhaps overly emotional and existential regarding life, and most certainly regarding books. I’m also an incurable perfectionist 😅
- I absolutely adore musicals! My favorites include, but are not limited to: Hamilton, Starry, Hadestown, The Phantom of the Opera, and Les Misérables. Besides Broadway, I also love listening to mainstream artists like Taylor Swift, K-pop artists (especially BTS), K-drama soundtracks, and Christian music 🎶
- The entire Bible is perfection, but my favorite books from it (as of writing this) are Romans and Ecclesiastes 🤍
- And now for what we’ve all been waiting for—the books! There is no possible way I’m going to be identifying a singular Favorite Book, so here are some of my all-time favorites (in the plural) so that you don’t have to ask 😆 Let me know down in the comments if we share any faves!
Legend by Marie Lu ✨ An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir 🔥 The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon ☀️ A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer 🌹 The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H. G. Parry 📚 The Silence of Bones by June Hur 🔍 Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo 👑 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows 🥧 We Are Not Free by Traci Chee ❤️🩹 Alone Out Here by Riley Redgate 🪐 A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro 🏫
Thank you for stopping by my blog! Hope you enjoy!
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV)