Hello, and welcome to Beyond the Read! I’m Abby, a Christian teenage girl with a passion for books and musicals. I’ve always loved to read, but sometimes this gets in the way of my relationship with God. I created this blog in April 2020 in order to try to find a healthy balance between the two loves of my life. Some fast facts about me:
💫 I primarily read young adult fiction.
💫 My most-read genres are SFF and historical fiction, but I read from just about any genre… except for horror/paranormal, I’m too much of a scaredy-cat for that 😂
💫 I’m the proud daughter of South Korean immigrants, and I speak fluent Korean!
💫 I fall in love with fictional characters really easily. I literally have an entire list of my fictional crushes on my phone.
💫 My favorite musicals include, but are not limited to: Hamilton, Starry, Hadestown, The Phantom of the Opera, and Les Misérables.
💫 The entire Bible is perfection, but my favorite books from it are Romans and Ecclesiastes.
💫 Legend has it that every time you ask a bookworm what their favorite book is, a kitten dies. Here are some of my all-time favorites (in the plural) so that you don’t have to ask.
- Legend by Marie Lu
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- Far from the Tree by Robin Benway
- A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
- The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H. G. Parry
- The Silence of Bones by June Hur
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly
- The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you enjoy!
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV)